Monday, November 15, 2010

Hardrock






It is my opinion that one of the best bicycles ever sold in the world has to be the Specialized Hardrock, specifically the ones from the time before carbon, aluminum, and suspension. For example, this is my touring bike:

An early 90's Specialized Hardrock. The original mountain bike when i got it (well used at that, end of the road for most bikes) I wasted no time in replacing everything from the bottom bracket out, the frame although scratched and tarnished was in perfect alignment and crack and dent free. it now has a 60mm road stem drop handlebars, old school dia-compe drop levers, and shimano ultegra bar end shifters. the front derailleur is original and going strong but the rear is XTR, along with the rear hub and cassette (8 speed sis) witch is laced to a nice mavic. The bike is 3x8, has a 55cm frame, and 26x1.5" tires (armadillos, always). i swooped the crank-set out for shorter 170mm ones and I've replaced the headset. there is undoubtedly more... but here are a bunch of shots from the bike's 1200+ miles with me so far... including a 250 miles tour.

4 comments:

  1. Oh cool. Its nice to know I'm not the only guy who puts dropdowns on their mountain bike frames.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny thing, after a few thousand miles on the drops I have recently gone to mustache bars for this bike. I'm VERY happy with them although, I sometimes miss that drop position. Bottom line- both setups have there advantages, so rock the drops! (i think they both look sweet)

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to see the old mountain bike getting some use. I've got an old 80s Fisher montare that i love to death. Been switching back and forth between a single speed commuter while in Davis and a trail bike for china camp when i'm in the area. Been thinking of doing some touring on it soon, but we'll see

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete