Friday, December 3, 2010

Schwinn Varsity "it's so yellow.."

Before:

After:


This was a cool little project I was given by a friend of a friend. The frame is around a 55cm. The bike was in almost original shape when it got to me (ceca 1970's) it had been worked on by someone that should have just let the bike alone.... he removed the chain grad but failed to note that other then keeping the chain on, that grad (when it had one) acted as a spacer for the large chainring (that bolts to the smaller/inside ring witch is fixed to the crankset). this made it so the bike would be very...very creaky when you road..... other then that one of the friction shifter bolts was striped however, i have worked on my share of old Schwinns (like this one) and I had a schwinn shifter bolt in a parts bin. The seatpost bold was striped too, so i scavenged one from my bike purgatory. I gave it a new chain and in the process swapped the rear derailleur from Schwinn approved to suntour ARX :) I don't think anyone other then me will notice, but that's just fine. new cables, housing, tubes and tires (kenda Gum walls just like my sister's Miyata) and sweeet yellow bar tape and it's awesome...35lbs of awesome.

2 comments:

  1. and by a friend of a friend you mean your sister's roommate.
    she still has yet to take it for a spin -- damn rainy season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to go look at a 1975 Schwinn Varsity men's bike which is missing the seat and from the pictures of it I can tell that the seat set and stem are missing. Is it easy to get parts for that? The Chrome fenders have been removed. I'll go see if the frame is sturdy and the headset looks right and no Bend in the forks

    ReplyDelete